Monday, July 11, 2005

Four-Legged Friends

While shooting the Canyon yesterday morning near the El Tovar Hotel, I chanced upon a young woman meditating on a precarious cliff. Upon further inspection I could see a Desert Bighorn on the slope beneath her, casually munching on a plant. These endangered, deer-like mammals are usually wary of humans. I joined her to get a better vantage and realized that no less than five of these creatures were converging on our position from every angle (including some boot-wide ledges below). We agreed it was Julie's energy that was luring them in. I got my pictures, but judging from the tears rolling down Julie's cheeks, she got much, much more. Desert Bighorn range from rim-to-river in Grand Canyon, and are usually spotted in rocky terrain. Read more by visiting this cool website:http://www.desertusa.com/big.html

No comments: